Tuesday, June 27, 2006

portovenere

This morning, the sky was a little overcast. I decided to take the boat to Portovenere after having a delicious breakfast at the hotel. The boat ride was wonderful...a nice breeze, plenty of room on board, and beautiful views.


(Portovenere from the boat)

Portovenere is another little coastal town. I walked around town, took more pictures, and then found a place to have lunch. I first went to a restaurant recommended by Katia but I guess I did not look rich enough as the person seating people told me that they were not serving anymore (even though I just saw him seat someone). Also, many restaurants are not big fans of people eating alone or at least I get this feeling. I then decided to go back up to the street behind the main street and found a great little place to eat. I had a nice conversation with a mother and daughter from England who are on a cruise and had the day to explore Italy while their boat docked in La Spezia. I had a caprese salad and a delicious focaccia pesto and cheese sandwich. It ended up being a great choice for lunch.


(town of Portovenere)

After a little more shopping and some advice to a nice shopkeeper that wanted to know the best island to visit in Hawaii for hanging out at a beach, I took the boat back to Lerici. I hung out on a rock catching a few more rays and watching some children play together in the water. It is so interesting how children are all the same and even though they speak a different language, they still pretty much interact the same way. On my way back to my hotel to shower and change, I stopped for a gelato for the walk up to the hotel.

For dinner, I had the most wonderful meal at a restaurant called Ristorante il Frantoio, a restaurant recommended by friends of Katia. I don’t know the name of the dish I had as forgot to bring a pen to write down the name & the bill only said 1 primo. It was a ravioli dish...but not your normal ravioli dish. The pasta dough for the ravioli included a fish ingredient which made the pasta a black color. The ravioli were shaped like fish! Inside was some sort of cheese and the sauce was a red sauce with little chunks of fish.


(delicious ravioli dish)

The food was wonderful but unfortunately I was full and could not order anything else. I can never seem to eat more than one course.

(view from my room - merged picture)

well...time for soccer and bed...am thinking of taking the boat to the different villages in Cinque Terre tomorrow and want to catch the first boat of the day...

buona notte...

ciao

No comments: