Monday, June 19, 2006

bella bella venezia

Venice, as beautiful as ever!

I arrived Monday afternoon with no complications.


(1st view after leaving the train station)

I quickly bought my 3 day vaporetto pass and waited for the next vaporetto. You can buy a 3 day pass for 25 euros or a 1 day pass for 12 euros or pay 5 euros each time you ride the vaporetto. The pass is definitely worth the cost. As usual, the vaperettos were all packed with people as it is the type of transportation used by both locals and tourists. I squeezed on with my luggage and easily found my hotel.

The hotel I am staying at is located in the perfect location - right near a vaperetto stop, and away from all the tourists. The 2 owners are very nice and helpful. My single room is quite spacious and the entire hotel is no-smoking!

After unpacking, with 4 maps, I set out to explore Venice. I walked around the Santa Croce (area I am staying in) and San Paolo areas.



I got lost a few times trying to find a restaurant I have read about to make a reservation for dinner, but eventually found the restaurant which is located in a very lovely campo - San Giacomo dell' Orio. This campo was full of little children playing and lots of people sitting or standing around talking. Mostly local people hang out in this area.

For dinner, I ate at La Zucca. I have read many wonderful things about this restaurant and definitely agree that the food is outstanding here.


I had a very delicious pasta with a fresh tomato sauce and fresh ricotta cheese and also a salad with fresh vegetables, avocado, and cooked chicken. The restaurant is conveniently located about 3 minutes from my hotel.

A great first day in Venice!

No comments: