Monday, June 26, 2006

arrival in lerici

Monday morning, I had a quick breakfast with Francesco's parents and then I was off to the train station. I was glad that I made a reservation as there was only 1 first class car on this train and all but the last 2 compartments of seats are now pre-reserved. At the stop after I boarded the train, more people got on and an argument began. I think it had something to do with where to put the luggage and other people already int he compartment in the un-reserved compartment. All I understood was this lady continually repeating that she was not interested (in something??). Other than that, the train ride went without incident. When I arrived in La Spezia, I found the automatic ticket machine inside the station and bought my tickets for my next journey on Friday. This journey will be my LONG train journey for this trip...something I am not looking forward to. I made a reservation (the train I will be taking is the same train I was on from Empoli to La Spezia).

After buying my train tickets, I searched for the place to purchase the bus ticket. To reach Lerici, you can either take a taxi or take the city bus. The ride takes 35 minutes and so I decided to try the bus (I will be taking a taxi on the return trip). The bus was pretty crowded when I boarded, but I managed to find a seat and also store my larger roll on bag right behind the seat in the handicapped wheelchair area. Luckily there were no wheelchairs on board! I usually am not a fan of buses as I never know which stop is my stop (especially when going to a new area). I read ahead of time that my stop would be the last stop on the route and I counted the number of stops on the schedule posted at the bus stop. As the bus went along, more and more people boarded and no one got off. Also, the bus was stopping at way more stops than I counted. I also read that it took about 35 mins to reach Lerici on the bus and so my next strategy was to watch the time. Finally as we reached the coast area, people started to get off. Then we reached a stop near Lerici (about 5 mins away) and the bus driver told us that we all had to get off as this would be his last stop. Another bus would come by to take us to Lerici. Luckily, a very nice lady also was going to Lerici and so I stuck by her to figure out when to get off. When we boarded the second bus, the bus driver told us that we needed to go on a different route...a tour of the Lerici area! The lady was pretty funny with her comments about how we were now on a 1 hour bus ride.

Finally as we reached the coast area, people started to get off. Then we reached a stop near Lerici (about 5 mins away) and the bus driver told us that we all had to get off as this would be his last stop. Another bus would come by to take us to Lerici. Luckily, a very nice lady also was going to Lerici and so I stuck by her to figure out when to get off. When we boarded the second bus, the bus driver told us that we needed to go on a different route...a tour of the Lerici area! The lady was pretty funny with her comments about how we were now on a 1 hour bus ride. As we rode all around the area of Lerici, through a tunnel, up and down streets, we finally came to an area above Lerici where there was a bus on the side of the rode with people waiting outside. The bus had broken down and our (2nd bus) was sent to pick up the stranded passengers. There was quite a commotion as we stopped to pick them up (mainly from the people on board still waiting to arrive in Lerici). We then headed to the main town area of Lerici.

When we reached the stop that appeared to be the main stop in the center of the town, about 7 ladies, most of them much older, found out that I was headed to Hotel Doria in Lerici. When we got off the bus (which ended up NOT being my stop), the ladies were all very concerned about me and even asked the bus driver if he could take me to my hotel! I told them I was fine and would find the hotel. One lady accompanied me to the area where the stop I was supposed to get off of was located (Piazza Garibaldi - the main piazza). It was downhill and a very short walk so it was not a big deal. Then she told me to find a carabinieri or go into a store to find out for sure where the hotel was. She left me once she felt I was safe without her. Lerici is a very peaceful town and not a town where one should be worried about someone not knowing where her hotel was located but she was very sweet to be so concerned. I saw a sign pointing up a street with many stairs to my hotel about a minute after I was on my own. By the time I reached the hotel, I was huffing and puffing...a great workout!

The people at this hotel are extremely friendly and helpful. My room faces the ocean and has a wonderful view and great balcony. I took advantage of the sun and balcony and caught up on my laundry.


(view from my room - merged picture)


(my hotel- Hotel Doria - yellow x on my balcony)

Then I wandered the town, took pictures, and sat on some rocks by the water to catch a few rays. There are rocks to sit on, then a pay beach, and then further down towards San Terenzo, a free beach.

After an afternoon gelato, I headed back to my hotel, took a short nap, and then watched the 2nd half of the Italy - Australia match. A long 0-0 match with the winning goal during the last minute of the game on a penalty kick. The town erupted in cheers!! For dinner, I ate at a very delicious little restaurant in town. I had pesto pasta and focaccia col recco...my 2 favorite Ligurian treats! I wandered around the town some more and took a few more pictures and then headed back up to my hotel. The walk back up to the hotel continues to make me huff and puff and so I plan carefully before leaving.





(pics of Lerici)

I am now on the hotel's computer which is free. A mac with a keyboard which is different from other keyboards I have used while in Italy. Luckily, I know my way around a mac and found a way to switch to an American keyboard...the only hitch is that I have to memorize where all the keys are.

hope all is well with everyone.

CIAO!!

No comments: