Saturday, August 19, 2006

saturday in torino

Saturday morning, I did a little last minute shopping and then took a different route back to the Piazza Castello. I discovered that the BC Canada House that was built for the Torino olympics was located directly behind my hotel! It seems so out of place in this city.

(my hotel - click on each picture to see larger image)


(2 pictures of the BC Canada House)

I also walked by a magnificent building and found out that it was the Museo Nazionale dei Risorgimento Italiano. There were a few of us that were trying to figure out if it was open or closed but none of us could find the entrance or an open door.

(Museo Nazionale dei Risorgimento Italiano & close up of doorway)

I stopped for a bite to eat and then decided to head back to the Caffè Al Bicerin to try the famous Bicerin drink. I also could not resist the apple cake. A delicious treat for my last full day in Torino.


(Caffè Al Bicerin & the famous Bicerin drink)

I next walked over the la Porta Palatina (a famous Roman gate) and took a couple of pictures. This gate is said to be one of the best preserved examples of a Roman gate and it was one of the entrances to the city. Nearby the gate are a few other Roman remains nearby including part of a Roman wall and also some remains of a Roman Theatre.


(la Porta Palatina & part of the Roman wall)
 
(the yellow building - where you purchase the ticket for the Museo di Antichità)

Next door was the Museo di Antichità. Since I had my Torino card and needed to find a bathroom, I decided to stop inside. I was not in a “museum” sort of mood and so I walked through the exhibit pretty quickly after using the bathroom. This museum houses a collection of objects that date from prehistory to the late Roman era.

AND, right by the Museo di Antichità was the Cattedrale di San Giovanni Battista or the Duomo where the Holy Shroud is housed. There is a copy on display and the original is housed in the Cappella dell Sacra Sindone (the Chapel of the Holy Shroud) which is located at the other end of the church.

(Cappella dell Sacra Sindone)


(copy of the Holy Shroud)

By now, it was late afternoon. I headed back down to the River Po to check out the boat rides. The next boat was leaving in about 15 minutes and so I decided to take a ride. It was not my favorite boat ride as the boat was mostly enclosed but there was a few open seats in the back (along with the motor smell). The ride was pretty peaceful other than the motor noise. The ride lasted an hour.



(pics on the River Po)

After getting off the boat, I headed back to the train station to to purchase my ticket for Sunday to Milano. It was early evening by now and the train station was not very crowded. There were only a few people in line and when the ticket window opened up and it was my turn to purchase my ticket, this young guy in a big rush came over to the window and interrupted the ticket guy asking if he could quickly purchase a ticket. I was in no rush and he was very polite about it and so I told the man that it was not a problem for me. After he got his ticket, he thanked me again and told me I that I was very kind and then ran off to catch his train. I then purchased my ticket and walked over to the tracks to see which track (binario) my train left from so that on Sunday I wouldn’t have to figure that out with all my bags.

(cinquecento & cool sign near the train station)

I headed back to the hotel to shower, rest my feet for a little while, and change for dinner. I found this great little restaurant called Ristorante la Badessa. I wished that I had found this restaurant sooner and even asked them if they would be open for lunch on Sunday. They said usually they are open on Sunday afternoons but would be closed this Sunday due to the World Cup match – the finals…Italy vs France. The food was excellent and the waiters and waitresses were very kind. I had a delicious pasta dish and some fish. A great choice for my last night in Torino.

I have to say again how much I really enjoyed Torino!

No comments: