Sunday, July 16, 2006

first day in Torino

I returned to Hawaii Monday night and am still having Italy withdrawals. I did not get the chance to write about Torino while in Italy and will try to recap the last few days now.

I arrived in Torino on Tuesday, July 4th, around 11 am. I knew in advance that there was a huge taxi strike lasting almost a week all over Italy and so I figured out the route to my hotel from the train station the night before while still in Saluzzo. Luckily, my hotel was not more than a 15 minute walk from the train station. Torino is a great city for those that get lost easily (like me). Almost all streets run in straight lines and so my hotel was very easy to find. When I arrived at my hotel, I was told that it would be another hour before my room would be ready. Not a problem since I no longer had to lug my bags! Torino is filled with stores...it is a shopper's dream city. I wandered around the main shopping street - Via Roma and also tried to orient myself to the city. I also went to Piazza Castello, which was where the medals were given out during the winter olympics. I also stopped at one of the tourist booths. There are little booths set up all over the city with 2 very friendly people waiting inside to give you information about the city of Torino. I already had a map (from Katia) and wanted to get a Torino card which gives you free access to most museums as well as many other benefits (one being free transportation on all the buses and rail cars).


(one of many stores on Via Roma)


(Piazza Castello)

After returning to my hotel and unpacking my things, I ventured back out to look for a place to have some lunch. I found this great little bookstore that also had a little bar inside serving great food for lunch. I had some quiche and tomatoes with olive oil. After lunch, I walked around the city some more and then went to the Mole Antonelliana which is the tallest building in Torino and at one time it was the tallest building in the world. There is a lift that takes you to the top in 59 seconds for a view of the city. It was a wild ride up to the top! Only 7 people fit in the elevator along with the elevator operator. At one point it feels like you are going to crash into the top of the ceiling but then you go through this little hole and voila, you are at the top!


(2 views of La Mole Antonelliana)


(the elevator going up to the top)

The Mole also houses the Museo Nazionale del Cinema (Cinema Museum). I have a link to this museum in the May archives on this blog. The Mole turned out to be one of my favorite places to spent time in while in Torino.


(pictures from the cinema museum - check out the toilet seats!)

No comments: